The Pressures of Being Number One

Kenzie Baldwin
Feature Editor
                Between coaches and parents, student athletes are feeling the pressure to be number one and to stay at number one. When too much pressure is set on athletes it takes away the fun of the game and adds anxiety to their lives.
                “I feel under pressure from my peers and coaches more than I feel good about being number one, it’s nerve racking knowing I am expected to be the best at all times,” said junior and tennis player David Conway.
                Many students want to be number in the sport they are playing in but when the pressure hits them they usually lose focus.
                “I played number two for two years behind a good friend and I think I’ve earned the spot of number one, but our number two player Lucas Tully is also a great player and he also deserves it as well just as much as me,” said Conway.
                Coaches aren’t all to blame; parents seem to put the most pressure on their children.
                “The pressure from the coaches hasn’t ruined it for me because all they can is say that you tried your hardest, it’s the family that gets me because they can put a lot of pressure on me and I have to deal with that day to day,” said Conway.
                Instead of playing a sport for fun student athletes are being pressured to be the best. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Human Geography FRQs

School Board Establishes Ban on Yoga Pants

Stand for the Silent Posts Sticky Notes